These cereal patties have seeds, vegetables and eggs added to them. They are a nice alternative to meat.
If you are not a vegetarian, these patties make a nice side for frankfurters or other sausage. A wine cream sauce would also taste fine.
Makes 6 patties, about 3 servings.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 1 vegetarian bouillon cube
- 1 c. water
- 1/2 c. 6-grain cereal, such as Bob’s Red Mill “Right Stuff”
- 1 T. sunflower seeds
- 1 T. sesame seeds, optional
- 1 T. dried onions, optional
- 2 grated carrots, or 1 grated carrot and 1 leek, chopped to total 1 c vegetables
- 1 egg
- 1 T. soy sauce
- 1 tsp. caraway seeds
- 1/2 tsp. dried marjoram
- 2-3 T. flour
- 1-2 T. dry bread crumbs, whole wheat if available
- Oil for frying
Bring the water and bouillon cube to a boil in a small pan. Stir in the cereal and cook over low heat for about 10 minutes. Cool to lukewarm. Add the next 9 ingredients, through caraway seeds and stir well. Add enough flour to make the dough hold together. It will still be sticky. I like to use brown rice flour, but you can use all-purpose or whole wheat flour.
Make 6 patties and dredge in bread crumbs. Fry until golden brown on both sides. Serve with mustard.
These taste good with Ranch Dressing, too, although that’s not very authentic.