Leeks store well through the winter and are a very popular German vegetable. Used instead of onions in many recipes, they are a bit milder than onions, although they can still bite when raw. Try them in this salad with apples and cream.
Makes 4 servings
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
- 2 apples, cored and chopped, about 2 cups
- 1 medium leek, cleaned and chopped, about 1 cup
- 2 tsp. lemon juice
- 1 tsp. sugar, or to taste
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 T. neutral salad oil (walnut or canola, etc.)
- 2 T. cream
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
Mix apples and leeks in a bowl and sprinkle with lemon juice to keep the apples from browning.
Whisk together sugar, salt, oil, cream and pepper until sugar dissolves and salad dressing is thick. Pour over salad and toss. Taste salad and season, if necessary (more sugar or salt).
Let salad sit for 10 minutes before serving.