Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 2 1/2 lb. waxy potatoes, about 6 medium
- 3 oz. of "Bauchspeck" or 6 slices of bacon, chopped small
- 3/4 c. chopped onion, chopped
- 2 T. flour, either all purpose or brown rice flour
- 1 T. sugar or 1 T. honey
- 1/2 tsp. salt, adjust according to how salty the bacon is.
- 1 tsp. celery seed
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 c. water
- 1/3 c. white vinegar
- 2 T. chives, chopped (optional)
Cook potatoes in their jackets 20 minutes or until barely done, drain, peel and cube. Set aside.
Cook bacon or "Speck" until crisp, remove from pan and set aside. Add onions to bacon drippings and cook until soft and beginning to brown.
Sprinkle the flour over the onions and stir to form a roux (flour/fat paste for thickening sauces). Let it cook for 1 minute, then add the sweetener, salt and celery seed. Add water gradually, stirring constantly so that no lumps form. Add vinegar, and bring sauce to a boil for 1-2 minutes. Add pepper. Taste and adjust seasonings.
Add potatoes and crumbled bacon to pan. Stir and heat until potatoes are heated through. Put potato salad in a bowl and let it marinate until lukewarm. Sprinkle chives on top to serve.