The grilling stone is popular for dinner parties, especially around Christmas and New Year's. Heated in the oven to 500°F, natural stone material (granite, volcanic or other) is then brought to the table where it retains its heat long enough to cook various meats and vegetables. Sauces are served with the meats and vegetables together with bread or potatoes and a salad. Easy to put together and serve, the cook spends time with friends, instead of in the kitchen.
Prep Time: 1 hour
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 10 minutes
- 8 - 12 oz. or more of suitable meat for grilling, fish or shrimp per person
- Parboiled, sliced vegetables such as potatoes, sweet potatoes, corn, carrots, squash
- Raw, sliced vegetables such as bell peppers, mushrooms, snow peas, tomatoes, fennel, zucchini
- Sliced fruit such as pineapple, green apple, peaches
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Various sauces (see below)
Many different kinds of meat can be used for indoor grilling. See this list of inexpensive cuts of meat which grill well. Boneless pork chops, chicken and fish filets will also do well on the hot stone.
The meat, fish, chicken or shrimp can be marinated before grilling. An easy marinade is made out of the juice of one lemon, a few tablespoons of olive or canola oil, salt and pepper to taste. Learn about marinades and see the top ten grill marinades.
Make sure the meat you are going to cook is sliced about one half inch thick or thinner. Also, it's easier for guests to cook smaller pieces of meat, or medallions. A variety of meats is often offered at these parties, so small pieces let everyone taste everything.
Hot Stone cooking is also a popular restaurant item. Easy to prepare for guests, each one orders his or her own hot stone with raw ingredients. Take a look here for some great inspiration in setting up your hot stone!
Read the instructions for your hot stone or grilling stone. Some of them advise you to lightly oil the stone before heating and some tell you to use salt on the stone while others do not. There are also electric stones now which do not need to be heated in the oven.
Prepare several sauces. Most sauces are based on yogurt, sour cream or tomato juice, although you can make a variety including cheese, mayonnaise and anything else you can think of. Here are a few sauce ideas. Use these as a jumping off place and create your own. Keep sauces cool (or warm) until serving time.
Yogurt-based sauces - Add to one cup of yogurt (add a pinch of baking soda as needed to cut down the acid):
- Freshly ground pepper, 2 tablespoons chopped arugula, 1 tablespoon chopped chives, salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons mustard, 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1 - 2 tablespoons chopped mint, 1/2 teaspoon sweet paprika powder, salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons capers, several, chopped sardine filets, cayenne pepper to taste
- 1 - 2 teaspoons curry powder, chopped mint, salt to taste
- Several cloves of garlic, chopped, 1 teaspoon pink peppercorns, crushed, salt to taste.
- 1 - 2 tablespoons cognac, 1/4 cup raisins, 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves, salt to taste
Tomato-based sauces - to 1/2 cup of tomato juice mixed with 1/2 cup chopped tomatoes (and a pinch of baking soda, if needed) add salt to taste and:
- Chopped basil and chives
- 1 teaspoon fennel, 1 tablespoon chopped parsley, cayenne pepper to taste
- Several cloves of chopped garlic, 1 teaspoon chopped rosemary, ground black pepper and 1 tablespoon chopped parsley.
- 1/4 cup tuna fish, chopped sardines, black pepper
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped onion, crushed black pepper
Sour cream based sauces
- 1/2 cup sour cream, 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 1/2 cup sour cream, 2 tablespoons mint jelly
- 6 tablespoons of butter melted and mixed with 1 tablespoon steak seasoning - brush on meat while grilling.
- 6 tablespoons of butter melted and mixed with hot sauce (such as Frank's) to taste - brush on meat while grilling.
- Mix 1/2 cup teriyaki sauce with 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger and 1 chopped, green onion
- Mix one can of cream of chicken soup with 1/2 cup of white wine and 1 cup grated Swiss cheese. Microwave and stir until hot. Keep warm for serving.