Prep Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
- 1 seedless cucumber (long and skinny, slightly bumpy), or 2 American cucumbers
- 3 Tbsp cider or white vinegar
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- ¼ tsp each salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 small red onion, sliced and broken into rings (optional)
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh dill, (leaves from 1 lg. stalk) (optional)
Wash the cucumber(s). If you have unwaxed, seedless cucumbers you can leave part or all of the skin on in strips (attractive when sliced), all others should be peeled. Using a mandoline, a food processor with the thin slicer attachment, or the slicer opening on a cheese grater, slice the cucumber very thin.
Place the vinegar, sugar, salt, and pepper in a serving bowl and whisk until the sugar dissolves completely. Add the cucumber, onion, and dill, if using, and toss well. Marinate for 5 or more minutes and serve.