German Cooking Basics
By Jennifer McGavin, About.com Guide
- German/Swiss/Austrian Cooking
- Glossaries and Translation Tools
- Buy and Make Your Own German Ingredients
Learn about the cooking and baking in these countries. Related historically, geographically and culturally, these three countries account for most of the "German" cuisine you are used to.
- A Short History of German Cooking and Baking
- Recipes by Region
- Special Kitchen Utensils You Might Need
- A Typical German Menu
Glossaries and Translation Tools
A reference guide for deciphering and translating German recipes and ingredients.
- German - English Cooking Glossary
- An Herbs and Spices Glossary for German Food
- Measurement Conversions, Metric to US
Buy and Make Your Own German Ingredients
There are many ways of finding authentic German ingredients. You can find German delis in big cities such as Denver or NY and many websites will ship imported products. You may also find it rewarding to make your own ingredients to use in the German food you cook and eat.