A few tips for converting your favorite German recipe so you can use it.
Germans measure solids by weight and liquids with everyday utensils (coffee cup, spoon, etc. or with a liter measure) .
- 1 coffee cup (Tasse or T) = approx. 150 ml
- 1 large soup spoon (Essloeffel or Eβlöffel or EL) = approx. 1 level Tbsp
- 1 teaspoon (Teelöffel or Teeloeffel or Teel. or T) = approx. 1 level tsp
- 1 knive tip (Messerspitze) = 1/8 tsp or 1 pinch
- gehäuft(e) – heaping, as in heaping teaspoon
- gestrichen(e) – level, as in level teaspoon
A table of commonly used amounts with U.S. equivalents.
Metric-English Measurement Conversion Chart
|100 ml||2/5 cup|
|250 ml||1+ cup|
|1 liter||1 quart + a bit|
|100 g white flour||7/8 c|
|100 g white sugar||1 cup|
|100 g butter||7 Tbsp|