A typical Ash Wednesday meal for those who like tradition, this salad is eaten often in Austria. It could also be titled Potato Salad with Herring.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
- 1 1/2 lb. waxy potatoes, boiled in their jackets and cooled (Fingerling or Yukon are good choices)
- 3 pickles, chopped
- 10 capers, minced
- 14 oz. jar of pickled herring, rinsed, patted dry and chopped into 1 inch pieces
- 1 c. cooked white beans, drained and rinsed, about 1/2 can
- 1 c. chopped onion, about 1 medium
- 1 c. sour cream
- 3-4 T. white vinegar
- 2 T. oil
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1/4 tsp. sugar
- Radish slices for decoration
- Fresh dill for decoration
Peel and slice the cooled potatoes into a bowl. Add chopped pickles and minced capers, chopped herring, the beans and the onion.
Mix the marinade ingredients separately and season to taste. Pour over dry ingredients and mix carefully, so that the potatoes stay intact. Refrigerate at least 2 hours. Decorate with radish and or dill before serving.