Tart vanilla yogurt is mixed with orange juice and whipped cream in this mousse-like dessert recipe. Try it with fresh fruit or compote, it's a light finish to a summer meal. Make it early in the day and be ready when guests come.
Makes enough mousse for eight, small desserts with fruit.
Plan several hours ahead, so this dessert can set up.
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 1 minute
Total Time: 26 minutes
- 1 package granulated gelatin or 6 sheets of gelatin
- 1/4 c. water
- 1 3/4 c. yogurt, plain or vanilla
- 2 T. powdered sugar, or Stevia to taste
- 2 T. frozen orange juice concentrate
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2/3 c. whipping cream
Soften gelatin in the water for 5 minutes (for sheet gelatin, soak in plenty of cold water until soft, squeeze through and then heat to dissolve gelatin).
Mix yogurt with sugar, orange juice concentrate and vanilla to taste. If you are using plain yogurt you may want more sugar.
Heat and stir gelatin until just dissolved. Do not boil.
Mix a little yogurt into gelatin and then mix the gelatin into the rest of the yogurt, stirring constantly to avoid lumps.
Place container in a refrigerator and cool until it starts to thicken.
Whip the cream until stiff, fold into the slightly thickened yogurt and refrigerate for several hours.
To serve: Wet a spoon or a scoop with cold water and form pretty scoops on a plate. Finish the dessert with fruit compote, pureed fruit sauce, fresh fruit or other. Add whipped cream if you need to.
- You may also wish to use the fruit and cream alternately in a parfait glass for a beautiful presentation. Do this before the cream gels and place the glasses in the refrigerator until serving time. Garnish with mint leaves.
- This is a good recipe for substituting the sugar with Stevia or artificial sweetener, if you like.
- This dessert is light tasting, but rich. Make small portions for dessert, so that you do not overwhelm your guests.