1. Food

Marmorkuchen

By February 20, 2009

Marmorkuchen

Not to barge in on Kevin Week's Cooking for Two pages, but here is the perfect, downsized recipe for a marbled Gugelhupf or Bundt pan cake.

Marmorkuchen is a popular cake for seconds. You know, you have one rich, cream-filled cake and then a dryer cake for seconds.

The Germans like to frost it with chocolate couverture ("Kuvertuere") or chocolate glaze ("Kakaohaltige Fettglasur", "Schokoladenguss") which is a bit like the candy coating chocolate you can buy in the US supermarkets. If you don't want to go through the trouble, a dusting of powdered sugar is also fine.

Leftovers are also a great treat for Sunday morning breakfast, when fresh rolls traditionally aren't available from German bakers so pumpernickel and day-old bread is served (bakers may not legally bake and sell bread on Sundays in Germany).

Photo © J.McGavin

Comments

May 11, 2009 at 8:41 am
(1) Katja says:

First of all, traditional Marmorkuchen is also dusted with icing sugar where I’m from (in northwest Germany), not frosted with chocolate.

Secondly, it is NOT illegal to bake bread on sundays. Just shops are closed.

Thirdly, Pumpernickel is not something commonly found throughout Germany. That myth is as old as the Bavarian “German” Lederhosen.

Who invents this stuff ?

August 28, 2009 at 1:42 pm
(2) MC says:

Honestly, do your research before printing incorrect statements. Why would it not be legal to bake on Sundays in Germany or any other country in Europe. I grew up in Germany and most baking happens Sunday’s as Sunday is a Family day; coffee and fresh cake in the afternoon with friends and family. In Europe most countries shut stores at noon Saturday so that people know it is the weekend which is for relaxing and visiting and not running in and out of around shopping malls all weekend like here trying to get your errands done. On this continent we unfortunately can’t tell the difference any more between Sunday and Tuesday.

August 31, 2009 at 12:34 pm
(3) germanfood says:

First of all, Katja, I lived in Northern Germany for over 11 years and my baker did coat his amazing Marmorkuchen with chocolate. Secondly, MC, try reading the post before berating me. It says “bakers may not legally bake and sell bread on Sundays in Germany”, pretty clearly implying professional bakers, not home bakers. Yes, they can bake legally within restrictions, but that doesn’t help the consumers if they can’t buy the fresh wares.

Also, do your research. You state that most countries shut stores at noon on Saturday, which is not true in many European countries, for example the Netherlands. Also, Germany’s Ladenschlussgesetz has been loosened in the last ten years and every state may now change their rules concerning Saturday closing times and evening hours.

If I don’t understand every nuance of German law, I apologize in advance. The gist was to say that fresh bread or Broetchen is not available on Sundays from bakeries, which drives people to serve day-old bread and pastries. Of course, feel free to bake your own any time.

I do not “invent” stuff. I report my unique experiences as a Hausfrau, Studentin, and Einwohner from the perspective of coming from a different culture. These may not be not be your experiences, but that does not make them any less true or relevant.

May 24, 2011 at 6:54 pm
(4) AJ says:

I am German… Yes, stores were closed on Sunday back in the day, now things are different all over. Marmorkuchen came both chocolate glazed and dusted with sugar. But really who cares? Maybe next time just publish the recipe and forget all the other tidbits. Just a thought.

November 16, 2009 at 10:58 am
(5) Phil says:

It was not legal to bake on sundays. But they changed the law, so that u can buy fresh baked bread and rolls also on sunday now. In every german state. So u both are right. And the chocolate covered Marmorkuchen is very popular in whole Germany, cause the dry dough keeps fresh under that chocolate crust.

July 6, 2012 at 1:24 am
(6) rs says:

What a load of rubbish.I am German and lived all my life in Germany.Since when do we eat day old bread on sundays?We have allways had fresh bread rolls on sundays.From the bakery!!!!!!!
Its an insult.And as for pumpernickel,well not everyone eats pumpernickel and it tastes better fresh too!!!!!!!
REALY DAY OLD BREAD FOR SUNDAY BREAKFAST????
Dont tell me that bakers wherent allowed to bake on sundays,that might have been the case in some states in germany but not the state i lived in all my life (age 58)